This privacy notice relates to the personal data processed by the Office of Shailesh Vara MP in relation to casework and policy queries.
Who is the Data Controller?
The Data Controller is Shailesh Vara.
What does the office do?
We conduct casework and respond to policy queries, for which we must process people's personal data.
How do we process data?
This office processes constituents’ data under the lawful basis of public task. In instances where this lawful basis is not sufficient and explicit consent is required, a member of the office will contact you to establish your consent.
We are committed to ensuring that the information we collect and use is appropriate for this purpose, and does not constitute an invasion of your privacy.
Will we share your data with anyone else?
If you have contacted Shailesh about a personal or policy issue, we may pass your personal data on to a third-party in the course of dealing with you such as local authorities, government agencies, public bodies, health trusts, regulators and so on. Any third parties that we may share your data with are obliged to keep your details securely, and to use them only for the basis upon which they were originally intended. When they no longer need your data to fulfil this service, they will dispose of the details in line with our procedures.
In any case, we will not use your data in a way that goes beyond your reasonable expectations in contacting us.
For how long will you keep my personal data?
Casework and policy queries are often revisited to provide the best service and representation for constituents, from whom we may continue to receive correspondence. Unless specifically requested by you, we feel it is reasonable that our office will hold your personal data for the duration of Shailesh ’s time as representative for the North West Cambridgeshire Constituency. Following an election, if unsuccessful, all records will be destroyed within one calendar month of the election.
What rights do I have to my personal data?
At any point while we are in possession of or processing your personal data, you, the data subject, have the following rights:
• Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
• Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete
• Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
• Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing.
• Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
• Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing, such as direct marketing.
• Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
• Right to judicial review: if our office refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason why. You have the right to complain.
How can I contact somebody about my privacy?
You can get in touch with our office by letter, email or telephone using the details at the foot of this page.
Please note that we will ask for identification (passport, driving license, utility bill from the last 3 months) should you choose to exercise any of the above rights in relation to personal data we hold.
In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by this office, or how your complaint has been handled, you have the right to lodge a complaint directly with the Information Commissioner’s Office www.ico.org.uk
Shailesh Vara MP
House of Commons
London, SW1A 0AA
Telephone: 0207 219 6050